iStock photo is the world's preeminent collection of member-generated royalty-free images, at the world's best prices. There are no subscription fees or extra costs. Just the best Stock Photography, Vector illustrations, and Videos, at prices for everyone..
iStockphoto works on a system of micro-payments, which allow you to purchase images in quantity. Images cost between 1 to 15 credits per download, depending on the file type and image size.
My personal opinion is that this is one of the best photobanks for non-professional photographer to earn some money. I want to sell photos through Istock !
+ easy entry test
+ only 3 photos to approve by not too demanding inspectors :-)
+ own very usefull user friendly upload software
+ they utilize an advanced indexing tool called a Controlled Vocabulary (CV) to tag images. This allows your keywords to be translated into any one of our supported languages. Each keyword you enter will map to the tag that will be used to find your image in their search. The keyword you enter is a "tag", and it will be displayed on the left side; the corresponding "term" will be on the right. Sometimes there will be several available terms for a word, based on the natural ambiguities found in language. For example, the tag "pen" will give you two term options: animal pen (enclosure) or pen (writing instrument). It is your responsibility to check the correct box so that the right terms can be attributed to your file and allow it to be found. This process is known as disambiguation (DA).
+ it is not necessary to add every synonym for a tag, as the CV does this work for you. Adding these redundant synonyms is a waste of your time, and doesn't improve your search results in any way.
+ you get your own FTP upload account
+ you can be paid with checks, Paypal and Moneybookers
+ sometimes rejected photo can be resubmited if you remove the problematic part
+ all files starting from 1200 x 1600 pixels minimum (anything smaller will be automatically rejected). The bigger, the better. 300 dpi 5" x 7" is optimal. 640x480 images are not usable by most graphic artists.
+ you do not have to request payment when you reach $100. You can request any dollar amount as long as you have enough funds in your account and your account balance is over $100.
+ they do not charge storage fees, processing fees, membership fees or any hidden fees at all + you can check to see if your image has been used in the "Designer Spotlight"
- images must be RGB JPG format only
- you have to include at least 10 keywords and use a title other than ‘dog’ or ‘man’ - as beginner you can upload only 15 photoas per week. This gets better after reaching 500 downloads, when you can submit 30 photos per week.
- after uploading are your keywords in mode "automatic" which has lower ranking as "manual". That means you have to manually check the keywords against the disambiguationing system of Istock.
Sample Credit Download Calculation:
The royalty structure on iStockphoto is 20%. If you’re eligible for exclusivity, you can make up to 40%. I want to sell photos through Istock !
Anyone can apply to become a photographer on iStockphoto. Contributors will be asked to read through our online training manual which is found by clicking the “Upload” link. Once that’s complete, you will need to answer a few questions and then upload a piece of government issued identification in the form of a JPEG. We require this to confirm who you are and that you’re of legal age. Finally, you will be asked to submit 3 sample images which will be reviewed by our inspection team. We will notify you of our decision via email or you may review the status of your application by clicking the “Upload” link again.
The correct answers to the test are:
1. All recognizable faces require a model release, including crowds:
2. Logos are acceptable in wide angle photographs:
3. Identifiable design marks, such as the 3 stripes for Adidas or the Nike swoosh, are allowed if the name is removed:
4. Landmark buildings such as the Sydney Opera House or Empire State Building require a property release to be used as royalty-free stock:
5. A model release is required for a self portrait:
6. The photographer can witness their own Model/Property Release:
7. A simple snapshot is acceptable; iStock does not require quality in composition:
8. It is acceptable to protest a rejection in the iStock forums:
9. It is acceptable to copy the composition of another photographer’s work :
10. Photographs should be upsampled or interpolated to the maximum XXL size:
11. The above example contains (tiger mask):
12. The above example is (wall light):
13. The above example is (flamingo):
Unacceptable texture detail
Then you have to upload 3 photos to be approved. I want to sell photos through Istock !
Read about the experience of photographers they sell photos through this photobank.
Link to discussion forum about Istock
This is just one of the photobanks. There is much more of them and you can see them all by clicking below.